Saturday, May 14, 2011

make up tutorial: a natural look

I was one of those kids whose mother never let them wear make up. Ever. Sure, you think, that's a normal occurrence. But the irony here is that my mother AND grandmother were both professional beauty therapists. They both wear lots of make up and have a lot of it. So naturally... without even realising... I started to wear more and more make up. I started at a good age, just little bits of eye liner here and there when I was about 15. Mum didn't really mind. It was only at the beginning of this year where I began going a bit too overboard. I became obsessed with eyeshadow and wore masses of it to uni and whenever I was going out. And mum got all RAH because she could tell I was caking it on a bit with the eye make up. So I have been experimenting recently and have found a "natural" look that doesn't require too much make up and still looks nice. It is inspired by Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert on the TV show The Vampire Diaries as well as from various make up tutorials I have watched on YouTube.

This is how my eyes look without anything on. OMG shocking!


So, I got this eyeshadow from some Jennifer Lopez set my friend got me from my birthday. It's a very very light cream.


Apply this colour on the inner-bottom of your eye, and smooth it on the inner edge, and up to the inner top of your eye. This will give a little bit of natural glamour. Does that exist? I don't know. But it looks good. I got this idea from Serena Van Der Woodsen's make up on Gossip Girl ages ago. So now my eyes look like this:


Then I got an eyeshadow that was very similar to my skin tone. It's a bronzey-yellowy-gold from a free Estee Lauder pack my mum got and didn't want. WIN!



This just gives a good base coat and smooths out the tone of the skin. It's important to blend it with the light cream in the inner top of your lid. So now my eyes look like this.


Then I got this dark purple eyeshadow (which pretty much acts as a dark grey) that I got from Sportsgirl ages ago. 


Apply this on the outer "V" of your eye. That means from the corner of your lid, upwards, then create a V and go inwards at the crease of your lid. You can put it as far inwards along the crease as you like, depending on what look you want. Make sure you blend this well because if it's not blended it will look fake. This is probably the most important part by the way. Now my eyes look like this.


Then I got a black eye shadow also from Sportsgirl. I don't have a picture but it's the same as the purple one above. Apply a very thin line above your lid. You can actually make it as thick as you want but I try and keep it thin. Now my eyes look like this.


Now add some pencil eye-liner on the bottom! (I use waterproof because it doesn't smudge and lasts longer).


... And some mascara! (I also use waterproof).


... And you're done!

Any questions, let me know, I will be happy to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...