Monday, May 30, 2011

inspiration for anti-procrastination

A close friend in the year above once told me that university was like the HSC every 6 months. I was scared, yes... and right now I would be studying for my upcoming end of semester exams... however, I go to UTS and study Journalism. This means, instead of living the HSC every 6 months, I am loving life, never have to memorise anything, go to uni in the city and spend uni with amazing journalicious people. Why? Because we have no exams.


However this does not mean that I am not feeling the stress. I have 6 assignments due in the next 2 weeks. The only difference between us UTSers and other students is that we don't have to memorise any of our stuff. But, because most of my school friends do have exams, I am taken back to the days of the HSC when we needed to learn to integrate sin, cos and tan; analyse shakespeare's work and write a creative about someone who doesn't belong. And I feel pity for those who have exams.

I'm not here to gloat. I'm here to give you some inspiration for anti-procrastination!

The most effective form of motivation for me during exam time was new stationary. I went to the extent of ordering special Japanese highlighters from New York... but boy, did I highlight. I highlighted everything. I was the highlighting queen. And when it came to go over my notes... everything was nicely colour coded and highlighted in awesome Japanese highlighters. These were no ordinary highlighters, by the way. They were special colours. Not fluro, more a matte, texta finish. But they were so smooth and highlighted like nothing else. They made my exams fun. So, buy new highlighters!



Another strategy I adopted thanks to my mother, was getting my nails manicured. One can feel depressed during exams, as you practically ground yourself, not going out or doing anything fun. Getting your nails done (if you're a girl, that is) will not only make you feel better about yourself and your hands, but will also get you writing. I found that when I wrote things on paper I would stare at my manicured nails, and it made me happy. Plus, it's a well deserved break, only taking about a half-hour or so to do. Can I please take the time out to recommend getting bio-sculpture nails done instead of acrylics. They are so much better in every single way. Click here to go to my previous post about them and read about why I think they are the best thing to ever happen.

Lastly, consider yourself lucky. It's winter time and there's nothing worse than trying to study when the sun is bright 'n shining outside. Rain means concentration. So get rugged up, turn the heater on and watch the rain whilst you study.

On a slightly different note, I am very happy because a handyman fixed the gas heater in the TV room, meaning my mum won't take my heater anymore, meaning I can have it 24/7 so I can get these assignments done!

Over and out.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...