Wednesday, May 11, 2011

real music

First of all, I just want to clarify that this blog isn't a fashion blog and to be honest I don't really know what kind of blog it is or not yet. For now I am just going to post what is on my mind at particular moments in time. And today, music is on my mind. Why? Because my favourite singer of ALL TIME, Delta Goodrem, performed a new song on US Dancing with the Stars! FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO KNOW ME AND ARE ABOUT TO CLOSE THE WINDOW AND NOT CONTINUE READING - WAIT! I STOP TALKING ABOUT DELTA SOON. VERY SOON.

I was lucky enough to wake up right in time for the live stream. The song she performed was "I'm Not Ready" - a duet with Michael Bolton. I don't know who Michael Bolton is, but I found this hilarious video of some collaboration he did with The Lonely Island. You can watch it here. It made me laugh a lot. But anyway - the song "I'm Not Ready" was written by Delta and songwriter Vince Pizzinga whom she has collaborated with on her past successful albums. From what I can tell from the lyrics, it's about her break up with Brian McFadden. I could go on forever analysing the lyrics but I'm not going to cause that isn't the point of my post today.

Delta Goodrem and Michael Bolton
So it seems Delta has a habit of waiting, like, 10 years in between albums. (I know I exaggerated but if you're a big fan of Delta you'll understand me!) Artists like Rihanna will release a new album at least every year - but the excuse I give on behalf of Delta is that she's a real artist, she writes all her own songs and it will pay off in the end. And it usually does. However this downtime where there is no Delta music leaves me lost. What I have been doing to compensate is listen to mainstream pop music, as anyone does. However this poses a problem for my music taste. Because since recently, there is only one style of music heard on the radio. Doof doof. Party music. Rnb dance. Whatever you want to call it. It's the only thing that exists. You might be lucky to hear some pop rock once in a while, but I am going to disregard that as I don't like pop rock THAT much. (It's okay). Artists like Rihanna and Lady Gaga can get away with releasing slow ballads because the majority of their albums consist of party music. But now-a-days, mainstream music = party music.

So, I listen to party music. I like it. I love RnB and Gaga and Rihanna and Chris Brown and David Guetta and all of that. I still do. But I had forgotten what it was like to listen to music like Delta's. Until I heard Adele. Her second album titled "21" was released and is full of lovely songs. I haven't listened to them all properly yet but my favourite so far is definitely "Set Fire to the Rain." Adele reminded me what it was like to listen to music that I love. This only occurred a week or so ago, nicely coinciding with Delta's performance. And boy, I can't wait for the new album.

DELTA AND ADELE EVEN MET! (At US Dancing with the Stars).
Friends of mind have pointed out numerous times that today's mainstream music is not as original as we think. And that it all sounds the same. Lady Gaga copies Grace Jones. Rihanna's song SOS was ripped off from this song. Jennifer Lopez's song On The Floor was ripped off from this song. Kanye West's Touch the Sky was ripped off from this song. There are oh so many more examples.

It makes me sad because the other day I admitted that Delta is no longer mainstream. Singles from her first couple of albums were heard on the radio everywhere. But I would be surprised if her new songs were played everywhere, all the time. Sure they'll get exposure. But not as much as a dance/RnB artist would.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope the music industry changes soon. Older music was varied but now it's all so similar. There's only so much ripping off artists can do before it's too much. There's nowhere to go, unless we go backwards.

Delta Goodrem and myself at her Christmas Carols concert on Christmas Eve (my birthday) 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love Delta! I'm so jealous that you've met her! So excited for her new album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sohan, I didn't know you had a blog! This is awesome - can't wait to read more. I'm now following :)

    Carla xx.
    www.carlabear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...